A "Happy Accident" - The Lobster Chimichanga
Sometimes mistakes turn out to be “happy accidents.” Take the chimichanga, for instance. One of its origin stories is that many years ago the chef at an Arizona El Charro restaurant dropped a burrito in the deep fryer by accident; when he noticed his mistake he used the made-up swear word, “chimichanga.” And we’ve been savoring his culinary mishap ever since. Since I still had some lobster tails in the freezer from last season’s hunting, I intentionally put a seafood spin on the classic deep-fried recipe with my lobster chimi. Remember, “Always ‘Stay Legal,’ and never take more than you’ll eat.”
- 2 2 lb. Lobsters tail meat removed and diced
- 12-14 ounces sweet corn cooked, drained
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 2 green jalapeño peppers seeded and sliced thin
- 2 red jalapeño peppers seeded and sliced thin
- ½ cup chopped sweet Maui onion
- 1 7.75- ounce can El Pato brand Mexican tomato sauce hot
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 ripe tomato diced
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- ½ cup Cotija Mexican-style cheese for garnish
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Peanut oil for frying
- Heat a large fry pan with at least 3” deep peanut oil to 360 degrees.
- Start by heating a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat and add butter, diced onion and jalapeños. Cook for two to three minutes, and then add the El Pato sauce. Lower heat to simmer and allow sauce to reduce by half. Add corn and lobster and cook an additional three to four minutes. The mixture should be a bit thick, not runny. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Divide the lobster mixture into four equal portions on the flour tortillas and roll them up, burrito-style, making sure to fold the edges inward so no lobster mixture escapes.
- To a large deep-sided frying pan, add about 2-3 inches of peanut oil. Heat oil to 360 degrees F.
- Using a pair of long-handled tongs and/or a spatula, gently lower burritos into the hot oil and cook, turning once, until each tortilla is a deep golden brown. Garnish with diced tomato, Cotija cheese, avocado slices and cilantro. Enjoy immediately.